Wednesday 12 February 2014

The impact of losing your licence

I was speaking to someone newly diagnosed with epilepsy and they were telling me about how devastating having their driving licence taken away was.

I think having lost my driving licence 3 times (really I should never have got it back as I was still having focal seizures but my doctors told me they weren't seizures at the time... that's a whole other story!) I came to accept not being able to drive a long time ago.  It has just become a fact of life now... I can't drive but I get around with buses and trains and kind people's good will.

But it got me thinking back to a time where being able to drive again meant everything to me.  I still remember waking up in my bed at uni after having a seizure and the first thing I said was 'I won't be able to drive for a year' and then broke down in tears.

So I want to ask people... what would you do if you were told today you couldn't drive for at least a year?

The 75 people diagnosed with epilepsy every day have to face that fact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is never take your driving licence for granted, it could be taken away at any moment for reasons you cannot control.  So treasure it, don't risk losing it due to your own actions, think about all those people with health conditions without a licence...

No comments:

Post a Comment