Monday 6 February 2012

22 weeks ~ work update


I haven’t spoken about my situation at work recently, I had really given working on the unit a go but was really struggling, Due to the changing nature of the unit, taking on more 1:1 technology dependent children, I was finding I was feeling more of a hinderence than a help, I was feeling stressed and like I was letting the children down because I was always having to wait for someone to come and help me.  I felt every day I was at work it was all about what I couldn’t do and not what I could.  I eventually decided I had to have a chat with management and got moved to another unit.

From the first shift I felt less stressed and more able to do a good job. Because the children were less dependent you worked as part of a team so there was always someone else around to ask for help.  I felt more supported and I didn’t need to worry about being left on my own because everyone was looking out for me and often the children were independent anyway.  It was like a breath of fresh air, I found I was enjoying the new challenge of working with children who were more aware of what was going on and my confidence was building.

It is great to work somewhere with such a huge diversity of children and units.  I feel very lucky to be able to be moved somewhere more appropriate to my needs.  It is still hard all the limitations put on and working below my potential but that's life, there's nothing I can do about it so may as well make the most of it.  The children I work with are inspirational and if I can help them to meet their challenges that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment